Friday, September 19, 2014

THE LUBBOCK LIGHTS

by J Jones

The phenomena called the “Lubbock Lights” happened in August 1951. I was one year old, so cannot include myself in the few hundred people who reported seeing lights from silent wing-shaped craft flying in a semi-circular formation. Among them were several professors teaching engineering, chemistry, geology and physics from Texas Tech University. One of the professors estimated that the UFOs were traveling 18,000 miles per hour at an altitude of 50,000 feet.

Several photos, showing about a dozen of the lights, were taken by Carl Hart, Jr. Air Force investigators considered the possibility it could have been a flock of birds, but local game wardens pointed out the only type of bird for that time of year, the plovers, fly in groups of six. A meteor shower was also ruled out, since astronomers did not have any on record that lasted three weeks and were visible only in one geographical area.

Almost ten years later, in the same month (August), I had my own close encounter. I have no photos, no proof I can present to back up what I saw that day. I only have the memory that has never faded all these years.

I was riding home from a friend’s house on my bike when there was what I can only describe as a displacement of air, like the air was being sucked up. I had long hair and it literally crackled with static electricity and stood straight out and up on my head. I sensed rather than heard a strange vibration that seemed to emanate from above me, so I looked up, and what I saw changed my life.

A large part of the blue sky was blocked by what appeared to be a wing-shaped object, totally silent, hovering at tree-top level. I remember something inside of me was screaming for me to get out of there, but I was rooted to the spot. I recall wishing there was someone else there with me to see this, to tell me I wasn’t dreaming; that it was real.

I do believe it was real, although I cannot tell anyone what it was I saw that day. I do know what it was not: no weather balloon; no flock of birds; no meteor; no swamp gas; no stars—none of the other debunks the Air Force likes to throw out as quick explanations just to make it all go away.

When I realized I was alone, I got scared and I didn’t want to see the UFO any longer, but my eyes were pulled to the craft hovering there against my will. Suddenly, still with absolutely no sound, the huge craft shot straight up, becoming the size of an apple in a second, then disappeared.

When it was gone, the air around me seemed to be charged. I realized I was gripping the handlebars of my bike so tightly it hurt, so I released my death grip and saw clear prints where my hands had been. The rest of the metal on the handlebars was covered with a fine residue that resembled the dust you get when you drill or sand metal.

That day in Lubbock, Texas, on Emory Street, I became a believer that we are not alone. Although they were not on my particular street to share the event with me, there were others who had similar experiences that have been documented. I was just a kid, so I did not report it. Who would believe an imaginative kid? I never even told my mom because it would have freaked her out. I just wanted someone to know what happened, and writing this article gave me some closure about something that has haunted me to this day. So roll your eyes and debunk all you want—I KNOW WHAT I SAW!

No comments:

Post a Comment