Thursday, March 1, 2018

RADIO GOD - Review

Radio God, Get Tribal, Get Tribal Music, www.get-tribal.com, 2015, CD, $8.99 (MP3).



Radio God is a CD of ancient rhythms, modern beats, and healing intentions. Since my last review included comments from several friends, I gathered them for another evening of “interesting music”. The reactions varied.
        Get Tribal is actually Kari Hohne, and Radio God features her fabulous shamanic drumming. One listener said, “It’s like a heartbeat going through every cut on the CD. I like it.” Another said, “The percussion is so loud it drowns out the beautiful music underneath, and it gave me a headache.” I noticed several people rocking side to side with the music, and at least one going into a meditative state.
        I found the music varied and wonderful. Reggae rhythms, Native American flute sounds, Celtic snares, and was that a sitar? As much as I didn’t want one track to end, I was eager to hear the next begin.
        The CD cover says Radio God is a “surreal revival of world spiritual music arranged with ethnic rhythms, modern beats and infused with radio nostalgia.” I’d say it succeeds on all levels.
        Be sure to read the insert because it explains what inspired each selection. For example, TABA: Out of the Underworld “celebrates the music of ancient Mesopotamia with elements of 1960’s spy cinema.” And GUIP: Sunrise combines Eastern European Gypsy music with Southern Baptist Revival inspiration. If they sound like truly weird combinations, you just have to listen. Wow.
        Not everyone enjoyed Radio God, but I have to say that the “likes” far outnumbered the “dislikes”. Give it a try; I think you’ll find it interesting, entertaining, and moving.
- Chris Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment